WORKS ON PAPER 2021 | $25,000
The inaugural WAMA Art Prize, Works On Paper invites a multi-disciplinary range of nature inspired Australian artists, to celebrate their connectivity with nature and raise awareness of the importance of conserving our precious and unique Australian environment.
The WAMA Art Prize is a biennial award and exhibition showcasing wildlife and nature-inspired art created on or with paper.
The major Acquisitive Prize of $15,000
Three Awards of Excellence of $2,500 each (non-acquisitive)
People’s Choice award of $2,500 (non-acquisitive)
Online exhibition opens
Acquisitive Prize and Awards of Excellence announced
People’s Choice Award announced
31 Jan 2022:
Online exhibition closes
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Artists must be residing primarily in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists are encouraged to apply.
- For the purposes of this prize, a “works on paper” is defined as a work made with paper as the primary medium. This work might be two or three dimensional. This does not include photography as a primary medium.
- All works submitted for the Award must be original works by the artist whose name appears on the entry form, and completed between 2019 and 2021.
- By entering this prize, the artist confirms that their artwork does not infringe on the copyright of anyone else.
- Artists must submit the following with the completed entry form:
- A non-refundable administration fee of $30
- A one-page Curriculum Vitae (Word doc or PDF only)
- An artist’s statement about the work (up to 150 words) (Word doc or PDF only)
- A full image of the of each of the actual works being submitted for judging the Award
The images must be high resolution (300 dpi) JPG digital files.
Up to two images may be submitted of each work, and one of these must represent the artwork in its entirety. The file size of any image is not to exceed 4MB.
- File names are to be in the following format:
- Entries are to be submitted online via the WAMA webpage, wama.net.au. If you require support in submitting online or have access needs, please contact WAMA on 03 9999 9767.
- WAMA employees and members of the WAMA Foundation’s Board are ineligible to enter the prize.
- Additional support material that is not requested will not be accepted or returned.
- There is a limit of two entries per person. A receipt will be issued for each entry. Please note that only one artwork per artist will be selected for exhibition.
- The artwork details entered on the WAMA Art Prize entry form are final and no changes can be made.
- A pre-selection committee including a member of WAMA’s Art Advisory Council will select the finalists. Only artworks chosen as finalists will be exhibited.
- Please note, no substitutes for works entered will be accepted and no correspondence will be entered into once the decision is reached and applicants have been notified.
- Selection criteria for finalists (and winning work) will include consideration of the goals of WAMA, in particular to inspire and enrich people’s appreciation of nature.
- Entrants will be notified whether their work has been selected as finalists by 17th September
- This exhibition will be displayed exclusively online, on WAMA’s website wama.net.au, launching on 18th September and will remain online until 31 January 2022.
- All works submitted must be available for purchase through the online exhibition.
- All quoted sale prices must include sales commission and GST (where applicable). WAMA will arrange transport of purchased works. The artist will be responsible for packing works and handover to courier. Packing and postage will be quoted on purchase and will be paid by purchaser.
- WAMA Foundation Ltd will receive 20% of sale price as commission on each sale
- The panel of judges for the Awards will include:
Anne Virgo, Director, Australian Print Workshop,
Robert Nelson, art historian and art critic,
Suzanne Davies, Contemporary Art Gallery Director, and
Jacqueline Healy, Chair, WAMA Art Advisory Council
- The judging panel shall solely determine the prizewinning entries. However, the judging panel and WAMA’s Art Advisory Council reserve the right not to award all prizes.
- The judging panel’s decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into. (See Point 14 for the Judging Criteria.)
REPRODUCTION OF WORKS AND STATEMENTS
- Copyright of the artwork remains the property of the entrant. Finalists specifically permit and authorise WAMA to reproduce their work and artist’s statement by print or electronic/social media for publicity purposes, reports, catalogues and any other publications related to the WAMA Art Prize for a period of five years from the closing date of the Due attribution will be made to the artist.
DOWNLOAD A COPY OF THE TERMS & CONDITIONS (pdf, 138kbs).
- Carefully read the Terms and Conditions
- Complete the Entry Form and upload images
- Pay and Submit Entry Form
Entries Close: 18 August 2021, 5.00pm.
Applications must be received online on or before this time. Late entries will not be considered.